I’m a dinosaur in a spoken word show in the Science Festival. It’s an adult show. I’ve written a monologue from the perspective of Dracorex Hogwartsia. If you’ve not heard of her, well I am.. or I was a really awesome dinosaur with spikes and horns. The name translates to dragon king of Hogwarts – yeah.. the Harry Potter dinosaur.
But they discovered I was actually a juvinile Pachycephalosaurus. The dinosaur more commonly known as a bone head. Which really sucks. The cool spikes and horns disappear when I get older.
The show starts with my relegation from dinosaur status. I’ve been demoted like Pluto when he lost his ‘planet’. And I’ve arrived in some sort of limbo where the demoted dinosaurs rant and drink tea. It’s a support group. Or something like that. And that’s our show. Based on real science. Questioning what it means to exist and what happens when science gets it wrong.
So who are the demoted dinosaurs?
- LIBYCOSAURUS (the ever optimistic) played be Beth Godfrey, written by Sarah Thewlis
- AGROSAURUS (hater of humans) played by Sian Hickson, written by Sian Hickson
- ARCHAEORAPTOR (the missing link) played by Lewis Hou, Written by Lewis Hou
- AACHENOSAURUS (the sarcastic philosopher) played by Andrew Blair, written by Andrew Blair
- UNICEROSAURUS (the preacher) played by Ricky Brown, written by Ricky Brown and Nerd Bait Band
- DRACOREX (the confused) that’s me
The Illicit Ink show ‘Linnaean Limbo: The Dinosaurs That Never Were’ is at the enatomy lecture theatre at Summerhall as part of the Edinburgh International Science Festival on Monday 4th April. Tickets are £8.50. Get tickets here.