Freelance Friday is for Edinburgh freelancers who’d like to go for a pint on a friday ‘after work’.
It started in my first week as a full time freelancer, I invited a few freelancers for a beer. People seemed to think it was a good idea and since then we’ve hired out a room once a month and it’s been just brilliant getting to know a bunch of creative ‘regulars’ and we’ve met lots of interesting new people too. I wrote a bit more about it here. If you’ve not been please do join us….. because you don’t have an office, it’s the end of the week and it’s good to meet other freelancers.
Expect a warm welcome, good craic and free snacks.
Dates 2011: Friday from 5.30pm
- 23rd Sep: The Brass Monkey, Leith (6 attended)
- 21st Oct: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (14 attended)
- 25th Nov: The Parlour, Leith, the stage area (19 attended)
- 16th Dec*: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (15 attended)
Dates 2012: 2nd Friday of the month, from 5.30pm
- 13th Jan: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (21 attended)
- 10th February: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (23 attended)
- 9th March: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (15 attended)
- 13th April: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (hosted by Clear Minded Creative Milo Mclaughlin)
- 11th May 6pm: Sofi’s in the Shore, back room
- 12th July 5.30pm (THURSDAY!) Sofi’s in the Shore, back room (Thanks to LillyLyle for organising)
Come along, tell your freelance friends
So far we have web developers, jewellery makers, magicians, fashion folks, journalists, PR people, podcast makers, poets, life coaches, illustrators, ghost writers, polar scientists, translators, editors, artists, radio presenters and authors. Whatever you do you’re welcome, full and part time freelancers.
If you’re coming let me know I’ll look out for you. Drop me a comment below or I’m @auntyemily on twitter. The hash tag we’re using when talking about Edinburgh Freelance Friday on twitter is #edff. I’ve also made a twitter list of Edinburgh Freelancers. Just let me know if you want added.
I’d like Freelance Friday it to belong to everyone who comes so please invite friends, share it, blog about it. If you’ve been before then help welcome those newbies, but you’re friendly folks who would do that anyway.
I’ve started interviewing some interesting local freelancers to get hints and tips from the masters. I hope you’ll enjoy reading them, I thought we could all learn from each other. I’ll add to this list as it grows:
- Alan McIntosh: Man of Mystery Behind The Broughton Spurtle
- Jolene Cargill: Opted out because she cares
- Jon Melville: Big Person, Big Personality
- Jaimie MacDonald: Three Sided Freelancer
- Fin Wycherley: Freelance Ghost
Lots of us are Leith based, town is busy on a Friday and there are some lovely pubs in Leith that let us hire out their back room and give us free snacks. They serve food too which is great if you end up staying out late. In October I planned to stay for an hour or so but I had such a good time I was there until gone midnight and ate wasabi peas for tea. Next time, I’ll get proper food.
Freelance Friday starts in Glasgow in December too, hurrah! If you know any Glasgow Freelancers please pass on Christopher Barr’s blog about it.
*Christmas Special: 16th Dec
Because it’s Christmas, every hour on the hour there’ll be a quick (5 mins max) entertainment slot. Magic tricks, that kind of thing provided by freelancers who do entertaining things. I’ve got a few confirmed already but If you are an entertaining type of freelancer please let me know if you can do a wee slot. But not pressure. And no longer than 5 mins, it’s not the X Factor.